The purposes of the General Plan are to:
- Guide the pattern of future development in this County based on long-term goals.
- Identify the visions, values, and priorities important to the people of this County.
- Provide the framework for regulatory decisions, capital improvement priorities, acquisition strategies, and other pertinent government programs within the County organization and coordinated with State and Federal programs.
- Improve the physical environment of the County as a setting for human activities; to make it more functional, beautiful, healthful, interesting, and efficient.
- Promote and safeguard the public interest and the interest of the County as a whole.
- Facilitate the democratic determination of community policies concerning the utilization of its natural, man-made, and human resources.
- Effect political and technical coordination in community improvement and development.
- Inject long-range considerations into the determination of short-range actions and implementation.