The General Plan addresses a range of environmental, community, and economic issues to assure the coordinated development of the County and to promote the general welfare and prosperity of its people. The General Plan’s objectives, policies, and implementation actions are formulated on the basis of sound rationale, data, analyses, and input from State and County agencies and the general public.
General Plan Comprehensive Review: On February 6, 2015, the Planning Director initiated a comprehensive review of the General Plan. The general public has the opportunity to provide initial comments and suggestions to the Planning Director by June 6, 2015. Correspondence should be sent to Planning Department, County of Hawai‘i, 101 Pauahi St., Suite 3, Hilo, HI 96720 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The sequence of events for comprehensive review of the General Plan will generally be as follows:
- Phase 1, Initial Input: February 6 – June 6, 2015
- Phase 2, Planning Director Review of Input and Preparation of Recommended Amendments: approximately June 2015 – April 2017
- Phase 3, Public Workshops and Public Review of Recommended Amendments, approximately May – July 2017
- Phase 4, Planning Commission Public Hearings and Recommendations to Council, approximately August 2017 – January 2018
- Phase 5, County Council Hearings, Readings, and Adoption: starting approximately February 2018.
Inquiries about the General Plan Comprehensive Review can be directed to email@example.com or 961-8137.